Saturday 15 November 2014

Farmer's Apprentice - Vancouver, BC

We made reserevation to this place basically like 2 months ahead to get a reasonable time for dinner. we looked at the menu online ahead of time but was not aware that there is Sunday Cookbook Series. Sunday Cookbook Series is a day where the chefs can have a lot of fun. They pick a cookbook from the shleves in the restaurant and pick out recipes they want to try out. They then would create a menu with inspirations from the recipes they tried out from the cookbook. It's such a great idea. It's great that the chefs can get creative every week. It definitely keep them motivated I think. This was the menu when we went on Novemer 9th, based on the book "Heritage". 

For starters, there's the Pimento cheese dip with house-made wheat thin crackers. I really enjoyed the different ingredients in the dip and being a cheese lover, I really like that they used this dish as a starter. The crackers were crunchy. This was a really good dish. Only thing to criticize is I wish they gave us more crackers to finish the dip.   


This was our least favorite dish because it was way too salty. There were too much much mustard as the dressing. What we did like was the green strawberry and onions. We never had green strawberries before and the sourness of the strawberry balanced out the saltiness a little bit. The same goes for the onion. It helped to balance the saltiness of the dish. Because the dish was already too salty, having the pork there didn't help. If the dish wasn't too salty, I would difinitely enjoyed the pork better. Not that the pork wasn't good, but I just couldn't enjoy it that much on its own. 

Next was the Trout Jacob beans. We had no idea what that was when we saw it on the menu and though it was fish with beans. It turned out to be another type of bean similar to kidney beans. This dish was well balanced but I enjoyed the cornbread even more. I don't recall eating cornbread before but I didn't imagine it tasting like that. The top was crispy and the inside was really fluffly. It went really well with the beans or just eating it on its down. I can eat a whole loaf probably. I would definitely order cornbread on the side next time if they make it. 




First of all, we really like the fact that this wasn't another fish and green pea puree. We've seen so many dishes in the past at fancy restaurants servicing fish with green pea puree. All the components went really well together and we could tell the chef really took the time to make sure the flavours go together. The roasted hazelnut made such a different on the dish. It brought it to another level. The only thing with the dish was the fish was not cooked perfectly. It was a bit overcooked. 

I really enjoyed this dish. The game hen was quite juicy. The farroto was cooked perfectly. This type of grain added chewiness to the dish. The squash added creaminess and The sauce was well balanced.  I would definitely order the Farroto again. 


I was disappointed at the dessert. It wasn't anything spectacular. I didn't feel like all the components went that well together. There were a lot of blackberries which were sour. The brown butter flavour wasn't that strong. The ice cream wasn't sweet enough to offset the sourness of the blackberries. The ice cream melted really fast and before I know it, I just eating blackberries with brown butter sauce. 


Overall, I think Farmer's apprentice is one of the better restaurants in Vancouver with creative dishes. I would be interested in trying their other Sunday cookbook series as well as their regular menu. I would recommend to go to the restaurant on Sunday for the Sunday cookbook series. 


Farmer's Apprentice on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment