Saturday 8 November 2014

Samsoonie Noodle & Rice





Noticed a while ago that Man Ri Sung in Richmond closed. I heard that they moved to a bigger location in Aberdeen but I have yet to confirm that. Walked by this new place a few times and decided to give it a try. First thing I noticed that it is opened by Koreans, which is a good sign that the food would be authentic. We went there on Sunday afternoon and there were quite a few tables. 


As the name of the place suggested, they have a lot of noodles and rice to choose from. I was craving bulgogi so decided to order that. The prices are pretty reasonable. 



They have done some renovations compared to the old place but there isn't too many tables available. 

One thing to note, the menu mentioned there is self-serve miso soup with the bulgogi that I ordered but they didn't direct me where I should go. There wasn't any signs letting me know where the miso soup was located. It wasn't a big deal but if they mentioned it in the menu, they should explain it better or just remove that. 


We wanted to try their sushi roll compared to Man Ri Sung's. Theirs is pretty good. First thing I noticed is that it was wrapped pretty tightly. I really don't like it when the rolls are so loose that whey you pick them up with the chop stick, everything falls apart. The ingredients tasted pretty fresh and all went pretty well together. It was pretty good. 


The lunch came with two side dishes which is less than the usual Korean place. I didn't really like that kimchi that much. I wasn't sure if they made it or if they bought it. It was a bit too spicy but not enough sweetness to it. The sweet potato was pretty soft. They didn't deep fry them ahead of them which some restaurants do. The potato was pretty good.



This was the bulgogi and there were a lot of rice on the bulgogi. It was harder to eat the rice on the teppan plate though. I can tell that they didn't want to give you so much meat by filling half the plate with rice. It tasted pretty good though. It was seasoned well. It wasn't too salty or too sweet. I did like that they had a lot of green onions in the dish. 


Calvin ordered the braised spicy chicken hot pot. There were a lot of chicken in the pot but there were all chicken wings. There were a lot of ingredients in the hot pot and it was filling. The hot pot wasn't too too spicy. We did  enjoy it as the chicken had the kimchi flavour too. We thought they would just add the chicken at the end and the chicken would be kind of bland. Overall, the food there is pretty decent. Of course it's still not my top choice, but as a Korean restaurant in Richmond, it would be one of the top choices I go to. 

One thing to note is that don't expect to get really good service there as I find their service is average. 

Samsoonie Noodle & Rice on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment