Sunday 27 October 2013

Sushimoto - Burnaby, BC

I've wanted to try the sushi places in Burnaby because I've heard good things about it. My best friend and I decided to go this weekend. I looked up a few places in Burnaby and decided to give this place a try. 

They are located right beside a skytrain station so it's easy to get to. We were able to find free parking at the end of the road. We went at around 1:30pm on a Saturday. We were surprised to see the restaurant was so empty; there were only two other tables in the restaurant. 

There were lots to choose from on the menu. They had lots of different rolls, sushi and other hot food as well. It took us a while to decide what to get. 


We ordered 2 pieces of seared scallops sushi for $2.5 each (Aburi Hotate). Because it's between raw and cooked, the scallop was very sweet and melted in my mouth. It was a good balance between the rice and sushi. I really don't like it when they give too much rice with sushi and all you can taste is rice. The sauce was also sweet, kind of like terriyaki sauce but it was not as sweet as that and not as strong that it overpowered the scallop. 



We then ordered 5 pieces of seared salmon and 5 pieces of seared saba aburi. I definitely preferred the salmon over the saba. Because it was seared, the salmon was really soft and tender. It had the texture of sashimi but the taste of cooked salmon. I found the saba to be a bit too fishy even though they had some citrus or ginger there to balance it off. 







Lastly, we ordered the saint daniel roll. It had seared beef on top with cucumber, avocado and spicy mayo sauce. I was worried about the sauce being too spicy but I was glad it wasn't too bad. I really enjoyed the roll. However, as we were picking the sushi up, it was falling apart which meant the sushi chef didn't roll it good enough.






I would want to come back again to try their other sushi since I haven't tried a place in Richmond that has good seared and aburi sushi.  I would say their prices aren't that expensive. It came down to be $18 per person including tips.


Sushimoto 鮨元 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment